So I know this post is a little late on the coconut oil bandwagon, however I have been amazed to run into people who still haven’t discovered the incredible versatility and health benefits of this wonder oil!
As soon as I experienced all the benefits first-hand I immediately become the coconut oil ambassador of the world and have been spewing facts left and right, like how it’s high in lauric acid and how it has anti-bacterial properties and how it is the ruler of the beauty DIY world.
So I thought I would share with you my top 10 favorite ways to use coconut oil!
(Be sure to purchase organic, virgin, cold pressed oil for the highest quality!)
- Coconut oil has a much higher burning point than other oils such as olive or grapeseed, making it a more effective choice when making stir frys and such. Plus it adds the slightest coconut flavor to your foods which makes things oh so delicious! (An amazing replacement for butter as you still get that satiating feeling without the dairy!)
- Butter Replacement in Baking
- You can replace butter with coconut oil in just about any recipe with a 1:1 ratio to make your baked goods so much healthier and nice and moist (I know I know it’s a gross word but I think it’s acceptable when in reference to yummy baked goods!). This way you are getting all the heart friendly unsaturated fats and lauric acid coconut oil has to offer while slashing the not so heart healthy butter!
- Sunburn Relief
- I swear by this remedy whenever I’ve had a little too much fun in the sun: shower with lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser, followed by a rub down of apple cider vinegar on a cotton pad, moisturize with aloe vera gel, and then seal in the moisture and replenish the lipids in your skin with a layer of coconut oil. Your sunburn will vanish by morning! The coconut oil is particularly soothing and is really restorative for the skin!
- Oil Pulling
- This is a great treatment for your oral health if you have bad breath, receding gums, or just as a way to pull out toxins from your body! It’s also been known to cure headaches and help people with depression. It even whitens your teeth as an added bonus! Just take a heaping tablespoon of oil and swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach. Make your breakfast or go about getting ready for your day and then when you’re done spit it out in the trash (not the sink!) and rinse your mouth out with some warm water. You can read more about oil-pulling here.
- DIY Toothpaste
- Mix together some coconut oil, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, liquid stevia, and peppermint oil and you’ve got yourself some toothpaste that’s free from any icky chemicals and leaves your mouth super fresh and clean!
- DIY Face/Body Scrub
- Simply mix together some brown sugar and melted coconut oil together to have yourself a delicious scrub that will purge your skin of any dead skin cells and leaving you fully moisturized and smooth! (you can add essential oils for a boost)
- Personal Lubricant
- So….I’m going there. But most of us do the “deed” and have you ever read the back of a lube bottle?! It’s a bit horrifying to be putting so many chemicals up in your lady/man bits. Switch out that yucky lube with some coconut oil for your play time! (Health PSA: Coconut oil DOES NOT work with latex condoms.)
- Rashes/Bug Bites
- Coconut oil is anti-bacterial which makes it a wonder for healing things such as pimples, bug bites, rashes, or any sort of fungal skin condition. Just slather it on straight from the bottle!
- Smoothie Booster
- Adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to your smoothie gives it a healthy fat boost, making you feel more satiated! Plus it has been shown that eating a tablespoon of coconut oil a day actually helps keep your stomach flatter! Eating fat DOES NOT mean you will get fat people. Just make sure you’re eating healthy ones!
- Hair Mask
- Heat up about 1/4 cup of coconut oil until melted and warmed through and apply to dry hair. Focus on massaging the scalp and roots and then work your way through your strands and focus on the ends. Leave on for 15-30 minutes and shampoo/condition to reveal incredibly smooth and shiny hair!
So there you have it! 10 ways to use coconut oil in your everyday life. Hopefully some of these will help you make a step towards leading a healthier and happier life!
Post in the comments below your favorite ways to use coconut oil!